Interested in becoming a coach but you don’t currently have a relationship with a school? Apply to become an unaffiliated coach here.
Unaffiliated Coach Overview
Coaches are considered “unaffiliated” when they don’t work directly with a school where our programming is offered. If you are a community member, a school district employee, or a volunteer who wants to coach, this information applies to you! Unaffiliated coaches are matched to schools based on school need for coach support, and the volunteer’s availability/location. Because of this, please be aware that there is a likelihood that you won’t be placed at a school.
How it works:
- Reach out to email@example.com with any questions you might have or to check if the school you are interested in is accepting external volunteers.
- Submit your volunteer application.
- Please allow 3-5 business days for your application to be processed.
- Once you have been processed, we will email you about all the volunteer requirements. Please note that you must complete all coach requirements before we can match you.
- 18 years or older
- Complete Program Volunteer Registration form
- Facilitate the 10-week curriculum two days per week
- Complete a background check every two years
- Complete Mandated Reporter training
- Complete up to 10 hours of Coach Training
- Become CPR (AED) and First Aid certified—at least one Coach at each practice must be CPR (AED) and First Aid certified
- Many of our schools host programming on weekdays immediately after school. There is minimal weekend or evening opportunity.
- Recruit team members
- Communicate and collaborate with your Site Liaison and Coaches to arrange site logistics: practice times, program materials, end-of-season event details, etc.
- Arrive on time and prepared for each practice; familiar with the lesson and materials needed for activities
- Assure safety for program participants: adhere to Girls on the Run-Chicago and site policies, take accurate attendance at each practice, ensure that all girls are properly released after each practice
- Communicate concisely and reliably with program participants and their families regarding program and season progress
- Provide a positive end-of-season 5K for participants
- Complete up to 10 hours of Coach Training before starting your season.
- Lead practice two times per week for 75-90 minutes (approximately 4 hours per week during the 10-week season; after-school hours)
- Attend the end-of-season celebratory 5K with your team (typically a half-day commitment).
I work in the school district, why am I considered an unaffiliated volunteer?
Many of our schools choose to recruit coaches internally whether other school faculty, staff, and even student family members. This is why we consider those not immediately affiliated with the specific site to be unaffiliated volunteers.
What is the timeline for being matched?
Coach matching will happen in early August for the Fall Season and late January for the Spring Season. We will be in contact with you every step of the way making you aware of what schools are available.
If I won’t be matched do I have to complete volunteer requirements?
We ideally hope to have volunteer’s complete requirements before matching them with a site to ensure they are able to participate as a coach. Our volunteer requirements include coach training, a background check, and a CPR/First Aid certification to ensure student safety.