Start a Program
Start a Program
Girls on the Run-Chicago's after-school program is designed for girls in grades 3 through 8 and meets twice a week. We currently have two seasons: the fall season, which begins in early September and runs for 10 weeks, and the spring season, which begins in Feb/March and runs for 12 weeks. Both seasons end the with Girls on the Run-Chicago 5k. New sites are added each spring, so if Girls on the Run (GOTR) isn't currently in your area, you may be able to get it started. (Please note that GOTR is expanding rapidly and doing its best to accommodate as many new site requests as possible. Unfortunately, it may not be feasible to start a new site immediately due to funding and staff limitations.)
In order to be considered as a Girls on the Run-Chicago program site, you'll have to:
- Provide a site coordinator. This person is responsible for collecting registration forms, distributing program and race information, recruiting girls, and promoting Girls on the Run in the school or community center at which the program is being held.
- Collect individual program fees. Fees are paid to the school or program site and then paid over to Girls on the Run promptly upon receipt of invoice.
- Provide a safe place for running. The program does not require a track—a field, unused parking lot or playground work just fine also.
- Provide a rainy day site.
- Choose two days a week for meeting. Each session needs 75-90 minutes.
- Provide coaches. In some cases, Girls on the Run will asssist in finding or will provide volunteer coaches. There must be a minimum of two trained coaches for each group of 8-15 girls. Coaches must be trained by Girls on the Run-Chicago.